Grand Rapids Alimony and Spousal Support Attorney | Grand Rapids Divorce Attorney


When you are facing a divorce and have questions about spousal support in the Grand Rapids area, it is important to have the representation of a good divorce attorney. Krupp Law Offices P.C. has been providing quality divorce representation for over 85 years. If you are facing a divorce and have questions about alimony, call the divorce attorneys at Krupp Law Offices P.C. for a free phone conference. During your phone consultation, ourdivorce  attorneys will provide you with immediate answers to your questions and schedule a free initial appointment with one of our divorce attorneys.



Michigan law currently allows a judge to award alimony to a spouse in a divorce. In order to award alimony, a judge must consider eleven factors in determining whether alimony or spousal support should be awarded. Although “a trial court's decision to award spousal support is not subject to any rigid formula and should reflect what is reasonable and just under the circumstances of each case,” there are several factors a trial court should consider. Cassidy v Cassidy, 318 Mich App 463, 475; 899 NW2d 65 (2017). These factors include the following:
(1) the past relations and conduct of the parties,
(2) the length of the marriage,
(3) the abilities of the parties to work,
(4) the source and amount of property awarded to the parties,
(5) the parties' ages,
(6) the abilities of the parties to pay alimony,
(7) the present situation of the parties,
(8) the needs of the parties,
(9) the parties' health,
(10) the prior standard of living of the parties and whether either is responsible for the support of others,
(11) contributions of the parties to the joint estate,
(12) a party's fault in causing the divorce,
(13) the effect of cohabitation on a party's financial status, and (
(14) general principles of equity.
Olson v Olson, 256 Mich App 619, 631; 671 NW2d 64 (2003)
There is no exact length of marriage or age in which a person would be entitled to alimony. Usually a short term marriage (under 10 years) will not be a case in which alimony would be considered unless there are underlying health problems. In addition, a case in which there is a 25 year marriage and the parties are earning similar incomes, the court would most likely not consider an alimony request by either party. In contrast, alimony would most likely be awarded in situations where parties have been married over 10 years and there is a great disparity in the earning abilities of the husband and wife. Spousal support is gender neutral. A wife can be ordered to pay spousal support to a husband based on the factors that the court considers. There are basically two different types of spousal support. There is rehabilitative alimony, which is designed to bridge the gap between being dependent on marital income and returning to the work force. This could include spousal support for 3 to 4 years, which would allow a spouse to attend college or take refresher courses necessary to reenter the work force. The second type of spousal support, which the court may award, is permanent long term spousal support which would end upon the death, remarriage, or cohabitation of the recipient. This is typically a fixed sum on a weekly or monthly basis with no specific end date. Such spousal support is modifiable in the event that there is a change in the party's circumstances. An award of spousal support is a very serious issue in a divorce and should not be taken lightly. As such, you should consult with a lawyer if a person is faced with questions about spousal support. It is one of the more complicated areas of matrimonial law.


If you are facing a spousal support issue, our attorneys can answer your questions. Having the right attorney on your side can relieve your stress during this difficult situation. Our divorce ttorneys have over 95 years of divorce experience.  Our attorneys have extensive divorce trial experience. Divorce is a life changing event, it is extremely important to retain the services of an experienced divorce attorney.
Krupp Law Offices P.C. is located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan and has the right divorce attorney for you. We represent clients in all divorce matters throughout West Michigan, including the cities of Ada, Rockford, Grand Rapids, Ada, Holland, Kentwood, and Grand Haven, and the counties of Kent, Allegan, Ottawa, Newaygo, Barry, Montcalm, and Ionia.
Our office can help.
161 Ottawa NW Suite 404
Grand Rapids MI 49503
616-459-6636or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

DIVORCE V ANNULMENT - Comparing Divorce and Annulment Process in Michigan.

DIVORCE PREPARATION - What to do before you file.

SEPARATION - What happens if I separate and don't file for divorce?

DIVORCE WAITING PERIOD - Is there a waiting period to get a divorce?

FAULT DIVORCE - What is the difference between fault and no fault divorce?

DIVORCE PROCESS - What is the divorce process?

UNCONTESTED DIVORCE - What is an uncontested divorce compared with a contested divorce?

DIVORCE AND RETIREMENT BENEFITS - What happens to retirement benefits?

DIVORCE PROPERTY SETTLEMENT - How do we split up our assets and debts?

DIVORCE MEDIATION - What is divorce mediation?  How does it work?

DIVORCE ARBITRATION - What is arbitration compared with mediation?

DIVORCE AND MEDICAL DEGREES - How does a medical degree get divided in a divorce?

DIVORCE AND BUSINESS INTERESTS - How do we divide a business?

DIVORCE AND ALIMONY (SPOUSAL SUPPORT) - How is spousal support determined?

DIVORCE AND SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS - Is Social Security a marital asset?

DIVORCE AND BANKRUPTCY - How does one effect the other?

DIVORCE AND PARENTING TIME - How is parenting time determined?

DIVORCE AND CHILD CUSTODY - How does the court determine custody?

DIVORCE AND CHANGE IN DOMICILE - Do I need the courts permission to move?

DIVORCE AND RESTRAINING ORDERS - How do I get a Restraining Order?

DIVORCE AND POST JUDGMENT MOTIONS - How do I modify my divorce judgment?

MILITARY DIVORCE - How do I get a divorce if me or my spouse are in the military?

PATERNITY - How do I establish paternity and start support and custody?

Keywords: Grand Rapids Divorce Lawyer,Grand Rapids Divorce Attorney, Divorce Attorney Grand Rapids MI, Divorce Lawyer Grand Rapids MI,Divorce Attorneys Grand Rapids MI, Grand Rapids Divorce Lawyers, Grand Rapids Divorce Attorneys, Grand Rapids Family Lawyer, Divorce Lawyer, Divorce Attorney Grand Rapids, Divorce Lawyers Grand Rapids MI

Tags: Alimony Attorney Grand Rapids MI, Spousal Support Attorney Grand Rapids MI, Spousal Support Lawyer Grand Rapids MI, Grand Rapids Spousal Support Attorney