Grand Rapids Personal Protection Order Attorney | Personal Protection Orders (PPO) in Michigan


When you are facing a divorce and have questions about a personal protection order in the Grand Rapids area, it is important to have the representation of a good divorce attorney. Krupp Law Offices P.C. has been providing quality representation for over 85 years. If you need to obtain a personal protection order or object to a personal protection order, call the attorneys at Krupp Law Offices P.C. for a free phone consultation. During your phone consultation, our attorneys will provide you with immediate answers to your questions and schedule an appointment with one of our attorneys.



There are two types of personal protection orders. The first personal protection order involves domestic relationships. They restrain a spouse, former spouse, person who resided with the victim, person who has a child in common with a victim, and a person who has or had a dating relationship with a victim. The second type of personal protection order is a non-domestic relationship - Stalking personal protection order.

There are a number of behaviors that can be enjoined by a personal protection order. These activities include but are not limited to: entering on the premises, assaulting, attacking, threatening to kill or physically injure, purchasing or possessing a firearm, interfering with the person's place of employment, or any other specific act or conduct that interferes with personal liberty or that causes a reasonable apprehension of violence.

A personal protection order is obtained by the filing of a petition with the Circuit Court in a county in which the petitioner resides. Courts are prohibited from charging filing fees for personal protection order petitions. Most circuit courts have developed their own forms which are available free of charge. A court must issue a personal protection order if the court determines that there is reasonable cause to believe that an individual may commit one or more of the prohibited acts. The court must consider testimony, documents, and other evidence offered in support of a personal protection order. Court shall not refused to issue a personal protection order solely due to the absence of a police report, a medical report, or physical signs of abuse or violence. A court must rule on a request for an ex parte (without a hearing) personal protection order within 24 hours of the filing of a petition.

If court refused to grant an ex parte personal protection order, the court must state the reasons in writing and advise the petitioner of the right to a hearing. Personal protection orders are immediately effective and enforceable even though the respondent has not received a copy of the personal protection order. A failure to serve the personal protection order does not affect its validity. If a respondent objects to a personal protection order, then the respondent must file a motion and request a hearing within 14 days after service or actual notice of the personal protection order.

The respondent must serve the petitioner with a motion and notice of hearing to revoke the personal protection order. The court must hold a hearing on the motion within 14 days after filing.

If a personal protection order is violated, the petitioner must request a show cause hearing before the court. At that time, the court will determine whether there has been a violation the personal protection order. If there has been a violation, the court can then decide the proper sanction. The sanction can include a fine and a jail term. An attorney will assist you in requesting or objecting to a personal protection order for typically a fee of 600.00 to 1000.00 dollars.


If you are facing a divorce, a good divorce attorney is not optional, it is a requirement! Our divorce attorneys can answer your questions with straight talk. Having the right divorce attorney on your side can relieve your stress during this difficult situation. Our Attorneys have over 85 years of divorce experience. Our attorneys have extensive divorce trial experience including property settlements, spousal support, alimony, child custody, and other serious divorce related issues. Typical fees to retain attorney for a divorce case can range and from 1,500 dollars to as high as 5,000 dollars.

Considering the seriousness of this life changing event, it is extremely important to retain the services of an experienced attorney in the area of divorce.

Krupp Law Offices P.C. is located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan and has the right divorce attorney for you. We represent clients in all divorce matters throughout West Michigan, including the cities of Grand Rapids, Holland, and Grand Haven, and the counties of Kent, Ottawa, Allegan, Barry, Newaygo, Montcalm, Muskegon, and Ionia.

Call for a free phone consultation.  Our office can help.




Christian Krupp

CEO & Founder

Christian G Krupp II was born and raised in Grand Rapids, Michigan.Chris attended Michigan State University and graduated in 1988.He attended Thomas M. Cooley Law School where he was a member of law review and one of the few students that had his law review article published.Christian Krupp graduated from law school with honors in the top ten percent of his class.His legal career started and Dykema Gossett, Michigan’s largest law firm.While at Dykema, he was involved in a diverse practice groups including the corporate, finance, and legislative areas.After leaving Dykema, Christian Krupp joined the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office.

Read More

George Krupp

Creative Director

George Krupp was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan.He was admitted to practice law in 1961 and started practice in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1962 in the Kent County Prosecutor’s Office.After years of success in the Kent County Prosecutor’s Office in Grand Rapids, Michigan, George Krupp left for private practice where he has worked for over fifty years.Over his fifty years of experience he has represented thousands of clients in civil and criminal cases.His primary concentration has been in domestic (family law / divorce cases) and criminal cases.

Read More